Saturday, February 12, 2011

CANYONS' LUCID TAME IMPALA REMIXES



I've been listening to my compilation of Canyon's Tame Impala remixes since I discovered their version of 'Half Full Glass of Wine' (Canyons Drunken Rage) on grooveshark back in December.

My grooveshark Tame Impala Remixes playlist was the first thing I listened to whenever I hopped on the computer while traveling in St. Maarten during the end of December and beginning of January, so now these tunes bring me back to that sexy, care-free island, sipping my very own half-full glass of wine...
You should check out that playlist, it's also got Bonobo, Fat Freddy's Drop, Shapeshifter, Pond, Warpaint...


Sint Maarten, Jan 2011

I've never liked a remix of any song as much as I do H.F.G.W., and I usually hate electro remixes of rock'n'roll songs. Plus I LOVE Tame Impala like a freak, so I was extremely skeptical until I listened.

H.F.G.W. Canyons Drunken Rage Remix


Canyons really impress me; But I can't find much info about them online, other than they're signed by Modular (Australian label), and are also connected with 'Hole in the Sky' - the HITS website says 'DJ/Producer duo Leo Holiday and Ryan Sea-mist are better known as the collective unit Canyons.'
Their C A N Y O N S V I S I O N website is really confusing, but also weirdly awesome.

*Connect yer dots: Pond (Jay Watson from Tame Impala's other band) is affiliated with Hole in the Sky, and Tame Impala and Canyons are both affiliated with Modular and Hole in the Sky.
So, a big happy family. Get it? Good.

Hole in the Sky MySpace bio: "Hole in the Sky is a little record label based in Australia that releases all kinds of music every now and again. "
But they haven't logged in there since September 2010... So I guess I'm slow to find these remixes. They're still fucking great!

Here is the rest of the collection:

Tame Impala 'Solitude is Bliss' Canyons Remix


I found out you can download 'Solitude is Bliss' Canyons Remix
mp3 free from RCRDLBL.com


Tame Impala 'Sundown Syndrome' Canyons Remix


The 'Sundown Syndrome' remix starts off with added sitar, which is great, but the song is wayyy slowed down. Then, around 2:40, after a gradual build up, REALLY picks up and makes the wait worth it for the rest of the song. Guitars are inserted back in, and the vocal dub is so smooth it sounds like this could have been an original composition. Canyons really understand Tame Impala and their sound and vibe. It's cool 'cause they enhance the psychedelic element with electro-modification, staying true to the TI spirit without sounding too hi-tech.
The kazoo around 6:10 is icing on the cake.


Tame Impala 'Skeleton Tiger' Retamed by Canyons Remix
02 Skeleton Tiger (Retamed By Canyons) by RestlessNomad

You should boink around your room like you want some whip-lash to the 'Skeleton Tiger' remix. It's got a driving pulse and some other crazified percussion... the first lyrics they give you in the remix: "Count the number of beings you are... see how long it takes you..."
Perfect. Favorite line of the song.


This next one is a remix of 'The Sun' by Tame Impala - called Fred Cherry's Eclipse by... Fred Cherry. Not Canyons. Still, awesome, keeping the comprehensive Tame Impala experience vibe.

Tame Impala 'The Sun' Remix (Fred Cherry Eclipse)

this from filestube.com and 4shared.com where you can apparently download it for free if you sign up. I haven't, but I'd consider it - yahoo answers had reviews of the site saying it was safe...

And the most recent Canyons TI remix:
(posted on modularpeople.com March 4, 2010)

Tame Impala '41 mosquitoes flying in formation' -
'41 Mojitos' (Poolside Dub Canyons Remix)


From KeepReal.org
Best part about 41 Mojitos: Modular has it up for free mp3 download, straight from the site!

I wonder why most of the remixes are of songs that begin with 'S'...hmm.

It took forever to find all of these in embeddable formats, I could have just made a grooveshark playlist and posted it in here, which I will do also, but wanted to outsource for the project and get an idea of who/where these tracks are being shared.
Enjoy! Viva la vida sound lovers.

We'll finish off with Tame Impala - 'Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind?' (Erol Alkan Rework)from January 28, 2011
Tame Impala - Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind (Erol Alkan Rework) Radio Edit by Erol Alkan

AND the Tame Impala music video for 'Expectation'

Tame Impala - Expectation from Modular People on Vimeo.

Posted on ModularPeople.com December 3, 2010

what a trip. not for those with weak stomachs.

No comments:

Post a Comment